Remember these strategies if you come to a word that you do not know while you are reading.
- Look at the pictures for clues.
- Get your lips ready to make the first sound.
- Stretch the word out and then put the sounds together.
- Chunk the word by looking for smaller words or word parts you know.
- Skip the word, read to the end, and then go back.
- Try to read the word again.
- Ask for help after you have tried the other strategies.
Does the word look right?
Does the word sound right?
Does the word make sense?
If not, stop and go back to try to figure it out again!